The warm season is finally here, like really here to sit out and enjoy! One of my favourite things to enjoy in our backyard is our small vegetable garden. While it’s not up and growing just yet, one of my favourite things to make from it is Bruschetta! Our garden happens to LOVE growing tomatoes for some reason so this recipe is an excellent way to use them up! Plus basil, who doesn’t love the smell of basil!
While I wait for everything to grow, I try to find the freshest of produce at the grocery store. This month we were able to find a bag of basil that smelled so fresh, that’s all we could smell in the car on the way home! Make sure you get the bag of basil over those little plastic packs, so much fresher this way. We also opted to use Campri tomatoes the last few times because they have less fleshy bits inside and the seeds are easy to remove. Save all those extra juices/bit and use them for my BBQ Sauce recipe so there is little waste!
We love and I mean LOVE garlic in our house, so much that next to potatoes/cheese, it’s the most used item in our cooking! We also tend add a little extra garlic when we cook so feel free to reduce if you want less, but don’t come to our house to eat… you’ll be garlic-ed out 😉 My favourite thing to use to mince up my garlic is this Garlic Smash & Paste from Pampered Chef that I got a few years ago! (sadly no longer available!) It smooshes out all the juices and presses it to the perfect size for eating.
It’s best to use your Bruschetta within a week of making it because the tomatoes tend to go mushy fast. If this recipe makes too much for you, feel free to reduce the ingredients to suit your needs! One tip: don’t add the balsamic vinegar to the mixture because it will not last long in your jar! Instead, drizzle it atop your bread and it will taste divine!
We love pairing our bruschetta with pasta especially my homemade Nut-Free Pesto! We also just love eating it in general and my husband is known for snacking on it as his evening snack! However you like to enjoy it, I hope you enjoy it this summer!
Included below is an easy to print version of the recipe so you can try it at home! Let me know what you think of it because we are truly addicted!
- 5-6 Tomatoes- Roma or Campri are best. Campri are smaller so double up if you use them
- 2-3 Cloves of Garlic
- 5-6 Large Basil Leaves
- 1 Red Onion-Optional
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper
- Remove the seeds and juices from the tomatoes. Save those and use them for my BBQ Recipe instead of tossing them out!
- Chop the tomatoes into small cubes and place into bowl
- Chop up your basil leaves into small bits as well and add them to the tomatoes.
- Mince up your garlic cloves so they are really small. We like lots of garlic so use less if you wish! Add that to your bowl.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to the bowl as well.
- Squeeze the juice of a 1/4 of a lemon into the bowl as well and mix gently.
- Let sit at least 30 mins so the flavours can blend together.
- Slice up some toasted french bread or a baguette and scoop the bruschetta on top. Drizzle some Balsamic Vinegar across the top and enjoy!
- Bonus! Spread a little herb and garlic cream cheese onto your bread before toasting it. It gives it a nice creamy cheesy texture!